Monday, September 13, 2010

A fortnight...


Apparently Monster Month was such a challenge that it prevented me from blogging. While that’s not entirely true, the last three weeks have presented some major hurdles in the quest for a marathon. The one that sticks out most in my mind and the one you’ll probably find most enjoyable was my first attempt at 20 miles. I had reached the pinnacle of my training and felt like I had 20 in the bag. The day started with me completing my normal pre-run routine: drinking some G1 Gatorade, a quick stretch, strapping on the running fanny pack (please hold your laughter…you need to drink water on long runs and the fanny pack is both fashionable and functional), and setting a stellar iPod play list.

Ten steps into my run, my water bottle flew out of the fanny pack and cracked on the pavement, spilling all but 2oz. of the water. Twenty steps into my run, the wind would not allow me to keep my earphones in, preventing me from listening to my stellar mega mix (which by the way includes my new guilty pleasure song: “Party In the U.S.A.” by Miley Cyrus). So right then and there I should have just stopped and called it a day, but the “run through challenges” mentality took over and I decided to continue.

Three miles into the run and my stomach began to slosh. I had chosen a hearty helping of beef stew for lunch (we’ve crossed beef stew off as an option for the pre-race meal) and around mile four, the beef stew and the “pinnacle” of training met.

After quickly tossing the contents of my undigested beef stew on the side of the trail, I decided to walk back to my car, dejected after not being able to go 20 miles. Immediately doubt seeped into my mind. “If I can’t go 20, I can’t go 26!” “Did I train enough?” “Did I train too hard?” “Did I not choose the right training plan?” “Why did I choose beef stew for lunch?”

Thankfully, all these questions were answered a few weeks later. After struggling through a few shorter runs with cramps in my right calf (cause still unknown), and a strain in my neck (probably caused by my arch nemesis: the treadmill), I was able to run 20 miles and near my race pace of 8:15 per mile. So…a fortnight away from the marathon I feel I can go 26.2 miles, I feel I’ve trained to the best of my ability (whether or not that was enough remains to be seen) and as to the beef stew…it was good, but we’ll leave it off the menu for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment