Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Joining the psychos...

There’s no need to take an ice bath when you’re running in sub-freezing temperatures. I took the plunge this last week. No, I didn’t get married, but I did make the meaningful commitment to run outside for my longer runs no matter the temperature. My employer has a single treadmill available for use, so during the week I have been completing my shorter runs during my lunch hour for convenience, but anything over 4 miles I now pledge to join those hardcore, 365 days a year, psycho runners out there braving the cold, rain, sleet, snow, and heat. (Sorry U.S. Postal Service, I butchered your motto).

I got home from work last Wednesday and needed to go for a four-mile run. I looked at my gym membership card, I looked out the window, I looked at the forecast, and looked out the window and then like a stoic warrior I armed myself for battle. I put on my wool socks, some fleece pants, 3 shirts, a stocking cap, two pairs of gloves, and to top it all off…my headlamp. As I was sticking my key into my running gloves, blazing hot like a kid waiting to go sledding, my wife asked, “What are you doing?” And in my toughest, manliest, closest thing to Sylvester Stallone voice I could muster I answered…"I’m going running."

The forecast said it was 3 degrees and for the first half mile the cold felt good. I might have overlayered myself in clothes, but I wasn’t about to take a layer off. There was something very peaceful about the beam of light from my headlamp as it bounced off the snow. The air was cold, but calm and the snow crunching under my feet was very rhythmic. After running for about a half hour thinking about how cold it was and wondering what the people passing me in their cars thought of a runner with a headlamp, I ran back home. I ran inside elated at my recent feat. As I returned into the nice heated apartment I thought I was hot, but upon removing my layers I realized my skin was ice cold. So…don’t fear running outside in the brutal cold, but don’t be out there too long either because at some point the beauty and serenity vanishes and it’s just dang cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment