Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thoughts and Thank Yous


10. Everything you read about a marathon is true and then harder.
I was officially introduced to “The Wall” around Mile 21. Today the Wall meant lower body cramping and lower back spasms. I tried to push through it, but was unable. I ran walked the last 4 miles.

9. Gatorade Endurance > G2
G2 is great, but apparently there is an Endurance Formula Gatorade with additional electrolytes and sodium. Upon drinking this magical elixir, I felt like I could finish without walking (at least for the next 500 yards).

8. 1st Marathon
Everyone along the course was amazing and super nice. The general consensus when they heard this was my first marathon was, “you chose a real tough one as your first.” So…if you decide to take on a full marathon, I recommend you choose a fast, flat course. Not that I have any regrets about choosing Omaha, but there were a few hills that I might avoid even in my car.

7. Dear Miley
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again… “Party in the U.S.A.” is pure gold. Without it I know I would not have crossed the finish line.

6. Dear apl.de.ap and Taboo
Because Fergie and will.i.am get all the recognition, let it be known that the Black Eyed Peas have the catchiest songs ever.

5. Thank You Body Glide
Enough said.

4. Runners are amazing people.
Today there was a participant who was blind. He was led 26.2 miles by bicycle and ran a great time. Also on the course today was a mother-father combo pushing their son in a wheel chair and a woman completing her 93rd marathon. All amazing. All inspiring.

3. PRs
The race director stated “I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of PRs (Personal Records) today.” I turned to my wife and said “Yeah, right!” To which she reminded me no matter what my time was I was going to PR. (Hey! It was like 6AM in the morning!)

2. Thank You Volunteers
Thank you to all the volunteers who acted as “Human Cones,” handed out water, and made the Omaha Marathon a memorable and special race.

1. Thank you Friends and Family
Thank you to all my friends and family who wished me luck, came to watch, and thought about me today. Without your support, this wouldn’t have been as special or as memorable. So...thank you so much everyone for your love and support.

Even though official training for the marathon has ended...the blog will continue. What's next? I don't know, but you can't start thinking about the next one until the pain from the first one goes away.

**Race for the Cure is next Sunday. If you haven't registered, DO IT. It's a great 5K for a great cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment