Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hard Questions...

Why do you run?

Do you run because you feel you should?
Or do you run because you want to? Need to?

If you run because you want to, what makes you want to run?
Where does your motivation come from?

Why do you run?

I have opened up the comments section so you should be able to anonymously post your answer(s). I believe I've enabled the settings so you don't have to have a Google account to post. I hope to get a meaningful decision going and maybe we can help each other figure out what gets us to lace up those shoes or what’s holding us back from lacing up those shoes.

5 comments:

  1. For me, I run because it's something I *should* do. It's definitely not an enjoyable thing for me, but I know there are great benefits of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run because it helps me maintain good stability in my workouts. I do not want to plateau on anything that I do so switching up my workout routines is good for muscle confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I run to clear my head and to push myself. It's therapeutic to be outside for at least a little while during the day. I spend so much of my time inside that it's a relief to get out, even if it is work hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love running as a way to just let go and push my body to its limits. I love the way I feel after I finish a long or particularly tough run; I feel almost invincible or like I can accomplish anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answers! I think running is meant to be a unique individual experience (althougth sharing it adds an entirely different dynamic to it). All your answers hit most of the common answer nails on the head. To go further into "Why you run?" I recommend reading "Ultramarathon Man" by Dean Karnazes. It's a great read and very insightful into why people run and how you can enjoy it more. In the last chapter he figures out and lists why he runs and it really inspires and frames what you can get out of running if you try. I think if you stick with it, running eventually becomes something you look forward to instead of something you should do. I might do a "book report" on Ultramarathon Man, because it really has some good stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete