Sunday, October 30, 2011

Not settling in...

Each marathon provides memories, lessons, and something to improve upon for the next one. Each marathon has also provided me with an amazing sense of accomplishment, not settling in until a few days after the race. I recently completed the Kansas City Marathon.

Three weeks before the marathon I felt like I was more prepared for the challenge of 26.2 miles than previous attempts. Even despite the forewarning of a difficult course and challenging hills I felt like I had a great shot at a PR.

Two weeks before the marathon I started experiencing sharp pain behind my knee. I don't know how it happened or when, but after I completed my last 20-mile training run, the usual leg pain that accompanies running that distance or further didn't go away.

Ten days prior to the marathon I told myself I wasn't going to run and had come to terms with not reaching my goals. I had decided that running would do more damage.

Seven days prior to the marathon I found myself at the physical therapist and masseuse for treatment and repair. I couldn't walk without pain and walked with a slight limp. Both physical therapy and an hour long massage helped. So...

Pride and non-refundable hotel rooms got me to the starting line and through the first 13.1 miles I was feeling fine and holding a nice, steady pace. That's when things fell apart. It took me 1 hour and 30 minutes to complete the next 7.2 miles and 1 hour and 20 minutes to complete the last 6. I ran the first 15 miles until the pain was too much for me, both mentally and physical, to handle. I started run/walking until the small increments of running were too much too. I walked the final 4 miles, only running the final quarter mile to try to beat the approaching pace group (who coincidentally was 3-minutes of their stated time, so it didn't matter that I finished before them anyway) as I crossed the finish line. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have run, but I also felt I learned a lot about determination and perseverance, but it came at a price. I am still unable to run without pain two weeks out and the diagnosis is that that won't change for at least another 2 weeks. So as others enjoy the perfect fall running weather, I'm stuck inside frustrated, depressed, and annoyed.

Kansas City Marathon Review:
Awesome course, great expo vendors, & amazing course! (Thus far my favorite course)
Great race t-shirts (Long sleeve dri-fit finishers t-shirt & cotton event t-shirt)
Poor crowd support (Not in quality, but quantity) The fans that decided to come out were awesome, but there weren't many out on the course. The crowd really dissipated after Mile 3, which was really surprising.
Overall Grade: B+ (I would have given the race an A, but with sound check starting at 4:37AM right outside our hotel, I just can't do it! An "A-Rated Marathon" would not blare Celine Dion at 4:37AM.

Congratulations to my training partner and friend Tom for dominating the hills of the Kansas City Marathon.

Congratulations to my friend Jeremy for completing his first half-marathon at the Kansas City Half-Marathon! I'm glad I was able to share in your accomplishment and thanks for dealing with a hobbling travel companion and running the final stretch with me!

Congratulations to my friend Jess who dominated the Columbus Half-Marathon, setting a new PR by 23 minutes!

So with this awesome weather: Run one for me! (Kinda like drink one for me or win one for the Gipper!)

No comments:

Post a Comment