Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The monster mash...


Sharks have a week dedicated to them, Monsters get an entire month! This week I started what some marathoners call the “Monster Month.” This month will consist of the longest runs a runner will complete prior to the marathon. On the four weekends I will complete runs of 16, 18, 20 and 20 miles in order to prepare the legs for the grueling 26.2 mile race.

Monster Month is a very important month. You have the most to gain, but you also have the most to lose, as an injury now could end any attempt at a marathon. So for the next month I really need to focus on diet, nutrition, sleep, making sure I listen to my body, injury prevention and most importantly, completing these long runs.

On Saturday I kicked off Monster Month with 16 miles around Lake Zorinsky. I ran the first 4 miles with a co-worker, which made the first four go by really fast. Running with a friend or training partner (hopefully they are both) is really underrated. Running with someone really takes your mind of the daunting mileage ahead.

I was able to maintain race pace for the entire 16 miles, which is a huge confidence booster for the weeks ahead. After shutting down the iPod at the 16 mile mark I proceeded to walk a few miles to loosen the legs. While doing so I think I dabbled in what some runners call “The Wall.” I had burned 2100 calories and I could really feel my blood sugars drop. A little sick to my stomach, a little dizzy, pretty warm, and pretty thirsty I trudged back to my car where I sat there until I felt well enough to drive home. On the drive home it really hit me that this “science to running” is really serious.

I tried to take an afternoon nap, but was too tired to sleep (hopefully you’ve experienced that). I couldn’t get comfortable with my legs hurting, so I just decided to get up. I looked for something to eat and replenish my calories, but nothing sounded good and sense Saturday my stomach has been weird and my body pretty wrecked.

For those (probably 1-2 people) that read this…any suggestions of what to eat? Drink? The problem I’m running into is I need to eat a lot but I get full quickly. Please post some suggestions of healthy foods or snacks you like to eat, that would be good for replacing calories.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment