Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Possible case of man jealousy...

It was an “Easy Run” or light day yesterday (2-miles @ 9:01 pace). I have been running my long and intermediate runs at a faster pace than I should, so I really wanted to concentrate on running a slower, more consistent pace. I was getting my iPod playlist ready, when headed down the trail sprinting to their finish were two men, probably fresh off some P90X workout. Both men were in very good shape and 5X more muscular than me. Upon finishing, they proceeded to congratulate each other by saying back and forth “Nice work, Mike!” “Do work, J!” After acknowledging my presence they wished me “a good run” and informed me “It’s a hot one out there!” (92 degrees, 90% humidity).

With my playlist set I was ready to take off until I was struck with sheer panic and embarrassment. “Oh great! These muscle heads are going to see me take off and laugh at my slow pace.” I decided to walk a few hundred meters (hopefully out of their site) and then began my workout. After taking off I got to thinking, “Why should I care what other people think?” For all they know I could be starting my 100-mile ultra marathon workout run, justifying my slower pace. Something for everyone to remember is “One man’s mile could be the equivalent of another man’s marathon.”

I was proud of myself for at least sticking to the pace I had originally set out to run, but wished I hadn’t ducked from their site. Don’t be embarrassed by your pace, how you run, or how far you’re running. Take pride in the fact you’re out there running, working hard, and challenging yourself. Sure, there is always going to be someone faster, stronger, and a better runner than you, but at the same time there is always going to be someone faster, stronger, and a better runner than them.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent advice. Easy to get discouraged when you see someone running (or doing anything, really) more, faster, longer, etc. But, there are always people out there looking at you, thinking the same thing about you.

    ReplyDelete