Friday, December 17, 2010

By choice or sheer pity...

Jimmie Johnson recently won his 5th straight NASCAR Sprint Cup. I don't follow NASCAR, but a co-worker who does informed me that one of the reasons why Jimmie Johnson is so successful is he has the best pit crew. Just like a NASCAR driver, every runner needs a great support team.

Running a marathon is a very individualistic achievement. No one is going to physically help you on Mile 22, but to get to that point you are going to need a great support team. Before you embark on your training for a marathon or half-marathon, take into account the impact your training will have on your family and friends. I learned really quickly the new "I love you" was my wife allowing me to wake up on Saturday mornings for multiple hour runs without compliant or reservation. Whether by choice or sheer pity my wife sacrificed time, energy, and fun for my running achievement. From not leaving on vacation until I got my run in, to drawing an ice bath after my marathon, or sacrificing an entire shelf in the refrigerator for Gatorade and energy gels, and even running up a monster hill with me on Mile 11, she was there every step of the way.

The best thing you can do is involve your family and friends as much as possible. They may not be able to directly train with you, but think about including them on some of your shorter runs. Bring the family, dog, and stroller on those easy runs and make a rest-and-recovery day solely dedicated to spending time with family and friends doing something they want to do (which isn't rubbing IcyHot on your legs.) Talk about your training with family, friends, and co-workers, but not too much. I'm sure my co-workers felt like they were training for a marathon, as much as I talked about it.

So before you start on what will be a very personal, individual, holistic running achievement, think about your support team. Unfortunately, you'll have to find the second best support team because I have the running support team equivalent to Jimmie's.

No comments:

Post a Comment